20 Great Reasons to Support the Library
Twenty things to love about the Berkeley Public Library
- Over 480,000 books to choose from!
- You can get the tools you need to complete that special home project.
- Looking for a job? Make your resume shine with free workshops with an expert.
- Friendly and knowledgeable (librarians/Library staff) always there to guide and share their expertise.
- Newcomers can learn English, or check out books in their own language.
- Music lovers gather to meet musicians, check out CD's, find sheet music, or enjoy the extensive collection of vinyl records.
- Visiting artists are on hand to share their craft and nurture creativity.
- Need legal advice? Stop by on visiting volunteer lawyer days.
- Have the world of information at your fingertips with access to technology like computers, tablets, and more.
- Check out, stream, or attend screenings of 1,000s of incredible movies.
- Meet a favorite author or discover a new literary voice.
- Bring the whole family along to enjoy story times or countless other events for kids and their grow-ups.
- Meeting rooms and a computer classroom help nonprofits and small businesses get their work done.
- Teens have a place to call their own at four neighborhood locations, soon a dynamic new teen space at Central will make five.
- Plenty of opportunities for aspiring young writers to hone their craft.
- It's a place always on the move making library cards and wireless available to anyone with a traveling "Library on Wheels".
- Explore all the Bay area has to offer with free or discounted passes to museums, the zoo, and more.
- Download and stream great books, magazines, music and movies from the comfort of your own home.
- By-pass "fake news" and become better informed with access the libraries vast supply of reliable news sources.
- Coming soon! Boosting science literacy for all ages with new programs and makerspaces.
Make a $1,000 or more gift to the Foundation and become a member of the Rosa Shattuck Circle of sustaining donors!
In 1903, Rosa Shattuck, a Berkeley pioneer and lifelong public library supporter, secured the funding and donated the land for Berkeley's first permanent public library. Make a sustaining gift to the Berkeley Public Library Foundation and become a member of the Rosa Shattuck Circle today! Circle donors enjoy special events and benefits throughout the year.